Bolivia has a raw beauty like nowhere else in the world. A country that boasts the Amazon, the worlds highest city, and the worlds largest salt flats in the same breath is, as you can imagine, an unmissable destination. Swim with dolphins in the Amazon, explore ancient Inca ruins – these must-do activities reveal the highlights of Bolivia, and beyond …
A trip to Bolivia offers some of the most unique and authentic travel experiences you can find anywhere on the planet. Here are a few highlights that can feature in your bespoke Bolivia itinerary.
• Explore the most remote parts of the salt pans away from the crowds, either on foot or by bike.
• Discover Uyuni, the largest salt flat on earth, with its surreal pentagons of crystalline salt.
• Visit Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world.
• Stay right in the heart of one of the world’s most haunting landscapes and travel with your own private guide, driver and chef.
• Taste the water of the Sacred Fountain, believed to give you eternal youth and happiness.
• Spend time with a resident kallawaya – a Bolivian natural healer – for a personal blessing and reading of coca leaves.
• Explore the Amazon Basin.
• Shop for souvenir’s at the Witches’ Market.
• Spot rare flamingos at the Laguna Colorada.
• Strap on your hiking book and trek in the Andes.
• Walk in the footsteps of Che Guevara.
Salar de Uyuni
when to GO
APRIL TO OCTOBER
La Paz (LPB)
1 to 2 weeks in Bolivia is recommended, and longer if you’re combining with Peru and/or Ecuador
HOTELS WE LOVE
Nothing but the best. Browse the hotels that can feature in your bespoke Bolivia itinerary.
ATIX HOTEL, LA PAZ
Located in trendy La Pax, the Atix is a five-star contemporary boutique luxury hotel in the exclusive zona sur district of La Paz, Bolivia. Member of Design Hotels and featured in Travel + Leisure’s It List 2017, among the BEST new hotels in the world.
Top Experiences in Bolivia
If we were asked to choose our top three experiences in Bolivia, we’d go for these.
To deeply explore Uyuni, we customize a tailor-made journey across the Altiplano called Travesías. These are journeys during you will explore the region in a private vehicle which is driven between countries, staying in designated camps along the way. The drive allows you to access hiking routes along the way in some of the world’s most isolated landscapes, exploring one of the most pristine places on earth: the Bolivian Altiplano, and reaching the Uyuni salt flat and its immaculate peacefulness. Depending on your travel route, this Travesía can be taken from either Chile or Bolivia, covering similar yet not identical itineraries.
AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD – KACHI LODGE, SALAR DE UYUNI
Located high among the Bolivian salt flats of Salar de Uyuni, the Kachi Lodge is perhaps the world’s most uniquely located Five Star experience. These luxurious dome tents (more like mobile hotel rooms than anything else) feature gourmet dining courtesy of award-winning La Paz restaurant, Gustu. By night they are a star-strewn observatory. By day you can explore the strange wilderness that is Salar de Uyuni – from abandoned towns to pink-shaded lakes and the flamingos who inhabit them.
Lake Titicaca is one of Bolivia’s best known attractions. The Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca is believed to be the birthplace of the Incas. Home to the islands of Isla del Sol and Isla de la Luna, these contain over one hundred and fifty settlements.
“The Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca is usually regarded as more beautiful than the Peruvian side, with its ever-present backdrop of the snow-capped cordillera real creating stunning views of the lake.”