rwanda & uganda
For those of you who have summited Kilimanjaro, witnessed the Great Migration and kayaked the Okavango, but remain in search of the next great African adventure; we bring you Rwanda and Uganda. These destinations take you into the heart of Africa to discover more than just the Big Five. Here, you will have the chance to have a once-in-a-lifetime encounter with Africa’s largest primates, the mountain gorilla.
Below, are the can’t miss highlights every traveler needs on their list, when traveling to Rwanda & Uganda.
• Track the elusive mountain gorilla in Volcanoes National Park, the Virungas and Bwindi Forest.
• Enjoy guided visits to nearby hillside communities.
• Hike to Dian Fossey’s Grave and Karisoke.
• Guided Walks in Volcanoes National Park; and for the adventurous, hike to the summit of Mount Bisoke (3711 m).
• Trek the lush trails of Kibale National park alongside playful chimpanzees and do the only canopy walk in East Africa.
• Visit the Genocide Memorial Centre in Kigali which gives an incredibly moving account of the genocide through written and video testimonials, photographs and physical remnents of weapons used and possessions destroyed.
when to GO
MAY TO OCTOBER
Kigali (KGL) / Entebbe (EBB)
Rwandan franc / Ugandan Shilling
Rwanda: Kinyarwanda, French, English / Uganda: Swahili, English
lodges and camps we love
Nothing but the best. Here are a few of the lodges and camps that may be included in your bespoke itinerary.
Rwanda is our top choice for a high-end gorilla safari – each year a privileged few are afforded the chance to encounter these majestic animals up close in the mist-shrouded forests of the Volcanoes National Park.
sabinayo silverback lodge
Uganda is a larger country to explore than Rwanda and there is more travel involved to reach the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in south-western Uganda where there is a population of approximately 350 mountain gorillas living under the canopy of the 25,000 year-old rainforest, which is only accessible on foot.
Kyambura gorge lodge
With only eight bandas, Bwindi Lodge is one of our best-kept African secrets. Overlooking Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, and with dramatic views of the forest canopy across a serene stream, it is one of Africa’s unique properties. The gorillas frequently come to relax in the verdant bush around the lodge! Visit the hotel website.
clouds mountain gorilla lodge
Mount gahinga lodge
Mount Gahinga Lodge
Looking to extend your trip?
Combine gorilla trekking in Rwanda and Uganda with a more traditional safari in Kenya or Tanzania…