The Big Five and the awesome Migration, couples with G&T’s on the veranda, makes for a real ‘Out of Africa’ experience. Visit some of the most iconic destinations of East Africa taking you to the pristine landscapes of Matthews Range, the Masai Mara, Northern Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, and the idyllic paradise of &Beyond Mnemba Island – just off the coast of Zanzibar.
East africa Highlights
Below are a few top experiences that can feature in your bespoke East Africa itinerary.
• Take to the skies on a hot-air balloon ride over the Masai Mara at dawn. Champagne in hand, you will glide over the thundering, great wildebeest migration river crossings and remember this moment forever.
• Have breakfast with a giraffe at Giraffe Manor.
• With no roads for a hundred miles, follow chimpanzees on forest paths and ply the crystal waters of a miraculous lake, at Greystoke Mahale in Western Tanzania.
• Experience the Great Migration.
• Climb East Africa’s Mountains: Mount Kilimanjaro (highest in Africa) and Mt Kenya (most adventurous).
• Ride a camel on safari in Laikipia or Samburu (Kenya).
• Experience the best game drives (arguably in the world) in the Serengeti National Park (Tanzania), Masai Mara National Reserve (Kenya), and Selous Game reserve (Tanzania).
• Immerse yourself in cultural experiences with the tribesmen of East Africa: Maasai, the Hadzabe (Bushmen), Datoga (similar to the Maasai but excellent blacksmiths making arrows etc. for hunting), and embrace the Swahili culture along the Kenyan coast.
• Explore the World Heritage Sites along East Africa’s coastline and visit places such as Lamu with incredible beaches. Find your Bohemian Rhapsody in Zanzibar’s ancient Stone Town.
• Feed Rothschild’s giraffe at Giraffe Centre in Nairobi or interact with the enchanting baby elephants at the Daphne Sheldrick orphanage.
Lodges & Camps we love
Nothing but the best. Browse the lodges and camps that may feature in your bespoke East Africa itinerary.
kichwa tembo tented camp
Sprawled along the Saparingo River on the edge of the Oloololo escarpment, where riverene forest meets the sweeping plains in the seasonal path of the awe-inspiring Great Migration, the camp provides an authentic dose of African wildlife, delivered with legendary Kenyan hospitality. Visit the camp website.
Mnemba Island, Tanzania
Be among just 24 guests at this romantic, private hideaway, where 10 beachside bandas overlook the Mnemba atoll (a scuba diver’s delight). From snorkeling, swimming and kayaking, to massages on the beach, to doing nothing at all, Mnemba has something for everyone. Visit the hotel website.
grumeti serengeti tented camp
The camp is situated on a by-water of the Grumeti River, known for its wildebeest crossings and Nile crocodiles. Guests thrill to the antics of the resident hippo in the pool in front of the camp and the spectacular monkeys, found nowhere else in the Serengeti. Visit the camp website.
Imagine walking up in the morning to find a giraffe poking its head through your bedroom window. The Giraffe Manor Kenya in Nairobi is every giraffe lover’s dream vacation, as it houses a family of Rothschild’s giraffe and other wildlife. Visit the hotel website.
serengeti under canvas
This is the ultimate in luxury camping, complete with a private butler service, chandeliers, silverware, crystal, ensuite flush w.c. and comfortable beds with fluffy duvets. Experience a classic Tanzanian safari in spectacular solitude and soothing comfort. Carefully positioned for close proximity to the wildlife herds of the Great Migration, the camp provide the ultimate viewpoint for this amazing animal spectacle. Visit the hotel website.
four seasons safari camp
Perched on elevated platforms and walkways, the Four Seasons Safari Camp sits next to an animal watering hole, where you can watch a family of elephants stop for their morning drink as you sip your own from your room’s private balcony. Under the protection of local Maasai tribes people, your guides will take you in the bush for an exhilarating game drive, or you can soar high in the sky on a hot-air balloon safari. Visit the hotel website.
Bateleur Camp at Kichwa Tembo is in the north-western corner of the richest game park in Kenya. Meaning “Head of the Elephant” in KiSwahili, Kichwa Tembo is flanked by the Oloololo Escarpment and the Sabaringo River. The camp lies deep in a monkey-rich forest on the exclusive western side of the Masai Mara National Reserve, far removed from the package tourism of the eastern Mara. Visit the hotel website.
With its charismatic ‘Robinson Crusoe’ atmosphere, Greystoke Mahale radiates an undeniable air of adventure. Located at the foot of the forested Mahale Mountains, home to a thriving population of chimpanzees. A-frame bandas are open-fronted to offer the very best views of Lake Tanganyika. An upstairs viewing deck offers a tranquil haven after a rewarding day of chimp viewing. Visit the camp website.
What Our clients say
Don’t just take it from us, let our bespoke clients do the talking!
“We are so lucky to have had this extraordinary adventure on the other side of the globe. Thank you to Marie-France Gravel of Bespoke Travel Design, for planning this trip of a lifetime for us!”
“We made it to our camp in Botswana. Already encountered as we were driving to our camp, a leopard, baboons, African Buffalo’s, jackal, impalas, etc. We had a wonderful dinner, with a sky full of stars. Five star dining. Great wines, Porto for dessert and Amarula to complete our evening.”
Notes from the road: “Hot air balloon ride was spectacular. We landed IN the migration … hundreds of thousands of wildebeest scattering as we touched donw! We have seen everything in great quantity so all are happy.”
pairs well with
Safari in East Africa combines well with beach time in Zanzibar, northern Mozambique and the Seychelles while the more adventurous can head off for some gorilla trekking in Rwanda…
Mozambique is one of Africa’s undiscovered jewels, the perfect destination for a luxury holiday. Your bespoke itinerary may include snorkeling, diving and fishing in the waters off Benguerra Islands, spa treatments and … Get in touch +